Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Monday, July 18, 2011

Running Update: This Week's Plan and Race!

Photo credit: Real Simple
I have been reading  a lot of runners'/running blogs lately, and I realized it has been a while since I've done a running update. Yes, I have been running regularly, two-three times a week, at my own pace, at my own low mileage.

While I am not "in training" for my upcoming 5K races, I am trying to steadily increase my mileage by 10% a week while really focusing on running those miles -- not walking -- and improve my breathing and stamina. This is what my plan looks like for this week:

Total mileage: 7.3 miles
Monday = 2.2 miles @ 12-minute pace
Wednesday = 1 mile @ 10:20 pace
Friday = 1 mile @ 10:20 pace
Saturday = Run, Walk or Crawl for Cancer 5K


I hope to finish the 5K in under 35 minutes. I think I can do it if I stay mentally positive and focus on breathing well. Wish me luck!

There are a few other 5K's in the book over the next few months:

These are really just motivators to keep me on the road and pushing for improvement. I hope to be able to whizz through the 5K by October. After that, I will start training over the winter for my first 10K and half marathon, which will be next spring/summer. After THAT... well, I'm not ready to say what comes after that yet. :)

Any of you pounding the pavement this summer? What races are you doing? If you don't run (which I don't blame you in the least for!), what are you doing to stay active this summer?

No comments: