Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Saturday, January 26, 2013

(Not so) Healthy Living

I found this survey on Carrots 'n' Cake, and I thought it would be interesting to answer the questions for myself. Feel free to answer one or more in the comments, or on your own blog!

  1. What did you eat for breakfast? A cup of coffee with a teaspoon of sugar and two teaspoons of organic egg nog, two sunny-side-up eggs on oatmeal toast with melted provolone cheese, garlic salt, pepper, Italian herbs and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
  2. How much water do you drink a day? I try to drink at least 60 ounces, but I have been battling a sinus/cough thing, so all I crave is hot liquids. I've been drinking at least five mugs of steaming tea or Emergen-C lately. Plus my daily cup of coffee.
  3. What is your current favorite workout? Skiing! Due to the above chronic sinus/cough thing, I haven't been able to run, and I have been avoiding the gym because I often sound like I'm dying and don't want to scare people.
  4. How many calories do you eat a day? I don't count anymore, but based off when I did, I'm going to estimate between 1200 and 1500 a day. I eat more on days I'm active -- versus days when I just go to the office and then home for the night.
  5. What are your favorite healthy snacks? I really try to bring healthy snacks to work and have them around the house for when I'm home. My favorites lately have been almonds, dried fruit and nut trail mix, grapefruit, guacamole and carrots (with not-so-healthy ranch dip).
  6. What do you usually eat for lunch? Peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches or turkey and cheese sandwiches, always on oatmeal or wheat bread/rolls, usually with chips (yeah, not so healthy). I also try to have a fruit or vegetable with my lunch -- like the above grapefruit or carrots. There's a Subway near my office, so I go there sometimes and load my sandwich with veggies.
  7. What is your favorite body part to strength train? My glutes! Haha, I know having strong glutes will help both my running and skiing, so I'm all about a healthy backside.
  8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train? My chest and shoulders. So painful!
  9. What are your "bad" food cravings? What's not??? I ate about eight Oreos after lunch the other day. Also love birthdays at work for the cake. I get salt cravings frequently, so I nosh on potato chips. Oh and donuts; I can't resist donuts.
  10. Do you take vitamins or supplements? Not really. Other than the Emergen-C mentioned above. I have been popping my mom's vitamin D pills whenever I see her, but I haven't bought any for myself yet.
  11. How often do you eat out? It depends on my plans. Lately it's been a lot keeping up with friends, but some weeks I don't eat out at all.
  12. Do you eat fast food? Sure. I don't really believe in restricting myself, so I'll have a Five Guys' burger if we're heading there. But I try to choose the healthiest options most of the time. I can't remember the last time I had MacDonald's.
  13. Who is your biggest supporter? Myself. I hold myself accountable to my workouts and healthy eating habits. I keep tabs on myself. I cheer myself on when I do well and meet my goals. Unfortunately I don't really have anyone else in my life who'll stay on top of me like that.
  14. Do you have a gym membership? Yup, though I haven't been in three weeks or so. I use it mostly to run on the treadmill in bad weather and to strength train. I used to attend classes, but I haven't done that in over six months.
  15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? I always shoot for eight, but sometimes my social life gets in the way... and sometimes (like last night), I sleep 10 to catch up.
  16. Do you have a "cheat" day? Not so much a specific day, but I allow myself indulgences.
  17. Do you drink alcohol? Of course. I have given it up for a period of time at several points, but now I mostly drink in moderation when out with friends or spending time with family. The only time I drink alone is the very rare glass of wine when I'm cooking myself a nice dinner -- that usually involves cooking with said wine.
  18. Do you have a workout buddy? Not really. I tend to workout solo, although I have friends who run races with me and come skiing with me.
  19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a healthy lifestyle? My confidence and self-image. I can look in a mirror and really like and admire what I see now. I feel (mostly) strong. I am proud of what my body can do and how far it can go, and I have the confidence to push it further. For the first time ever, I view myself as an athlete, and I treat myself accordingly.
  20. What was the last healthy thing you did? Boil water to raise the humidity in my extremely dry house. My skin, eyes and sinuses are suffering!

No comments: