Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Sunday, November 20, 2011

#21DJC: What does love mean to you?

Image credit: Personal Excellence blog
What does love mean to you? What words or phrases would you use to describe love? How do you identify if you are feeling the emotion of love, or something else? What does the word 'love' mean to you?


Love means...

  • light
  • freedom
  • unselfishness
  • warmth
  • caring
  • sensitivity
  • thoughtfulness
  • gratefulness
  • forgiveness
  • hugs and kisses
  • knowledge
  • understanding
  • listening
  • giving
  • acceptance
  • worth
  • respect
  • affection
  • time
  • sharing
  • common interest
  • happiness
I thought a little free association might help with answering this huge question. Throughout my life so far, I have had many different definitions and understandings of love: parental, sibling, friend, romantic, unconditional, divine... and each stage has been different and more intense. I ask myself this question periodically, but now, it seems like you can't really define love; it is like trying to define God, and some will say God is love. I certainly believe that love is divine, and when we love, we reflect the divine in ourselves. I believe that God wholly encompasses love, and nothing else. Therefore, love -- regardless of who it's for or with -- is incredibly personal and spiritual, while being completely universal.

How do I know when I feel love? Well, it's two things. First, I am unselfish; I feel the need to give to whomever I feel love towards. I want to share... everything... Second, I feel whole when I am loved and when I am loving. Love completes us -- not that a person completes us, but the act of loving and accepting love completes us. When either of these is not present, it's not love. When both of these conditions are present, I know there is love, and I am whole and happy.

No comments: