Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Around the world in... however long it takes.

If you are to do something for free for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I'm assuming this question means free of compensation and free of cost -- at least that is how I am interpreting it. The true question is: What is your real passion? What is priceless to you?

So, assuming I am independently wealthy and have no need to make money nor spend money, I would travel, around the world, to every continent and every country. Then I would go back and visit my favorites again. I'd start with every state in the United States, then I'd tackle all of North America. I would make my way South to Central and South America before hopping over to the South Pacific and Australia. I'd trek through Asia and the Middle East, down through Africa and back up through Europe.

While I'm exploring, I will write about what I find and how I feel about it; I will photograph the beautiful and the ugly I see. I would love to share it with the people I love.

I want to see everything this world has to offer, taste food around the globe, hear different languages and meet different people. I want to learn about different cultures and history and religion. And somewhere along the way, I hope I finally discover who I am and where I belong.

I know I don't have to take an around-the-world trip to find myself, but I am the type of person who needs to know all of the options available to me before making a choice. I am the kind of person who agonizes over not being able to try everything, and that paralyzes me in my decisions, making me always second guess what is right for me. Therefore, if i were free to do something for the rest of my life, I would explore all of my options and find the option that fits me best.

What would you do?

No comments: