Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, June 2, 2011

#Trust30: One Strong Belief by Buster Benson

It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?


Wow, this prompt was really difficult for me because my friends and family can be pretty different in their beliefs, so it is tough to find something I believe in that they do not -- and this one may be shared by several of them, but I'm going with it anyway.

I believe religion serves us; we do not serve religion. I was raised in the Roman Catholic Church, and so was my family and many of my closest friends. The Church always teaches we are here to serve God and each other (and the Church, ahem), but I don't know that I necessarily agree with that.

I think the church is here to serve us: as a source of hope, as a community of support, as a place of rest and peace, as a leader in faith, as a teacher of morals. In that token, I think it is ok to "tweak" your religion to fit your life (nothing major, but just enough to make it yours).

In college, I spent several years as a "diehard" Catholic. I read the entire Catechism, and I followed it to the letter -- or at least I tried my darndest. And I realized I was shutting people out, which was not very Christian of me.

So I adjusted. I soul-searched. I studied (I was a class short of a religion minor in college). I read books, and I listened to people. In turn, I found MY faith, MY religion, and it feels like home.

This is really an easy one to live every day because it's really become who I am as a person. Sure, I'm not always as kind or forgiving as I *should* be, but that's what it's all about: stumbling, learning, picking yourself back up and trying again.

I'll go easy on you guys: What's one strong belief that you hold and why? (Your friends and family can share it with you, it's ok!)


This post is a part of #Trust30an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. Thirty prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. 

Sign up to receive the prompts by email.

No comments: