Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

British consistency vs. counting sheep

Image credit: Scientific American
I stumbled across a useful, interesting and amusing article the other day, and I wanted to share it with you. I want to preface this with letting you know that I work for a British company, and half of my coworkers are British. My ancestors were British, and I love tea, along with the pomp and circumstance that inspires many distinctly British traditions.

Therefore, I chuckled as I read this because it is so... British! At the same time, however, I wondered if this is truly the trick to getting a good night's sleep every night.

According to The Telegraph, getting a consistently good night's sleep is all about... Consistency.

The article references a study done by surveying several Brits on their nighttime routines, and there were several common variables among those who reported sleeping well on a consistent basis. Apparently, by adhering to the following steps nightly, one will sleep perfectly every night without fail.

HOW TO ACHIEVE A PERFECT NIGHT'S SLEEP
1. Watch 1 hour and 46 minutes of television, preferably a soap opera or comedy quiz show
2. Spend 41 minutes talking to someone (partner, on the phone to mother, etc.)
3. Browse the Internet for 51 minutes
4. Have at least 2 hours and 7 minutes rest after cooking, washing up and doing the chores
5. Last food before bedtime --usually an evening meal -- should be eaten at 8:29 p.m.
6. Last drink before bedtime -- usually a cup of tea -- should be consumed at 9:10 p.m.
7. Go to bed at exactly 10 p.m.
8. Spend 20 minutes in bed reading
9. Finally fall asleep at 10:26 p.m.
10. Lie on the right side of the body
11. Sleep on the right side of the bed when facing the ceiling
12. Sleep with partner cuddled into back
13. Wake at 6:47 a.m. to the sound of the alarm clock

What do you think? Will it work? Will you try it? What is your nighttime routine, or do you not have one?

I have a nighttime routine, but the timing of it fluctuates. I usually spend my evenings cooking dinner, cleaning up, watching TV while enjoying a cup of herbal tea, then I try to read for a bit in bed before going to sleep. I do think consistency is important when it comes to sleep, and I am trying to get myself into a consistently timed routine to improve my sleep quality, productivity and energy level. I think the above is worth a try.

No comments: