Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

#reverb10 - My First Community

December 7 Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?


I feel like I went back to the beginning this year in terms of community. I've discovered that my strongest, most dependable community is the first one I had -- the one I was born into: my family.

As kids grow up and become adolescents, many rebel against their families; they need space to build their own identities. I think this independence continues through the 20's. However, as "the younger generation" reaches their 30's, I think an identity has been formed, and that identity is realized in relation to... the relations. At least, this is what has happened with me.

Especially once I moved out of my parents' house for good, I find myself wanting to spend more time with Mom and Dad. I head to their house just for a visit, just to sit around the kitchen table with a cup of tea and catch up on the goings-on. I love spending time with my Nana. I look forward to family get togethers. I hang out with my aunt and sister more, and I wish I lived closer to all of my family so we could hang out.

I'm figuring out who I am, and I am figuring out that a huge part of who I am is where I came from; my family has shaped who I am today. They find it comical how much I resemble my mother, who has become one of my best friends.

In 2011, I want to focus on rebuilding my friendship community. I have been trying to make more time for friends lately, and I want to continue with that next year.

Between my family and my friends, I am blessed beyond belief to have such a strong, reliable, loving, accepting community.

Who is your community?

No comments: