Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's Where I'm From


Image credit: Wikipedia

I am from swing sets, bikes and books, from American Girl and Disney.

I am from the stairs that creak, the floors that feel cold and the kitchen that smells of garlic.

I am from the garden that grew every summer, the apple tree.

I am from Thursday pasta nights at Nana's and stubborness, from Laura and Lauren.

I am from the loud conversations and squeals of laughter.

From eating everything on your plate and cleaning your room.

I am from God, like everything else that exists. Mass on Sundays, Our Father prayers, saints and sinners, white dresses and Jesus on a cross.

I'm from the home of Harvard University, England, Ireland, Germany and Italy too, from potatoes and pasta.

From the meat-cutter who fell in love with a supermarket cashier, the chemical engineer and the stay-at-home mom.

I am from the two-bedroom apartment on the Charles River, the three-bedroom Cape house that Mom fell in love with; from Walt Disney World, Silver Lake and Niagra Falls; from Nana's house and Catholic schools. I am from good times and bad times, but always from love.


This post inspired by

No comments: