Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Friday, August 16, 2013

#Gratitude Challenge: Give Thanks for Your Food

via Google Images
Today's task is to give thanks for your food, which is something I often forget to be consciously grateful for. I grew up saying "grace" before meals sporadically. My family said it around the holiday tables, and when I was really into my theological education in school and made my parents stop before we ate to say grace, but it wasn't a regular practice in my home. And, unfortunately, it still isn't.

I will say I am more conscious of how blessed I am to not only have enough food, but to have enough of quality food that nourishes me from the inside out. I am blessed to have so many choices of what, where and when I eat. I may not be eating in five-star restaurants every night or have a personal chef, but I never go hungry, and if I want to enjoy a meal out with friends, I can easily do that.

So, today, I will make a conscious effort to say "grace" before each meal. I'm a fan of the simple "God is great. God is good. Let us thank Him for this food. Amen." That is where I will start. Today. Then hopefully tomorrow. And the next day.

In addition to that, I think it's also important to show gratitude in action, so I'm adding that to my list as well. I will thank those who cook for and serve me regularly. I will help feed those who can't feed themselves when I have the opportunity.

How do you express gratitude for your food?

TODAY I am grateful:

  1. It's Friday, and it's going to be a beautiful weekend!
  2. I get to see an old friend who moved across the country tonight.
  3. I woke up healthy.

No comments: