Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Making a Difference Monday: Karma

Karma can be a b*tch, can't it? That's why I decided to head her off last weekend when I went skiing. I did a good deed out of empathy and in hopes that the favor will be returned to me one day when I most need it.

Last weekend, I had a tough time skiing because I was both breaking in new ski boots and trying a bunch of demo skis. My aunt wouldn't let me go more than four runs on the same pair of skis, so I was constantly readjusting, and as a result, falling.

I took a pretty bad spill on a narrow, steep section of a beginner trail, and my ski popped off. It must have taken me 10 minutes to pop it back on. I don't mind falling -- it comes with the territory -- but I hate when I lose my skis.

On the next run after this incident, I was skiing down a wide, beginner trail, and I noticed a ski laying in the middle of the trail in front of me. About 20 feet downhill, I saw a girl lying in the snow, missing a ski and struggling to get up. I picked up the ski and yelled to her, "Is this your ski?" She told me it was, so I skied it down to her.

She was very grateful, and I told her I know how it feels. Having to fight your way up mountain to retrieve a piece of equipment sucks.

I was glad I was able to help this girl, but as I skied away, I realized there were dozens of people coming down the slope who didn't stop to help her. It only took a minute to pick up her ski and give it to her. Why not?

I realize it's no longer Monday, but I didn't get to read Carrie's MADM post until late last night.

5 comments:

Anna said...

i bet that made her day. strangers acts of kindness always make my heart swell.

xoxo

Sierra said...

That was nice of you to help the girl who lost her ski, especially since you lost your ski too at one point. Glad you stayed optimistic despite falling a few times. Good job for accomplishing this! :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Why don't more people take a moment to help another? You rock!

Iva Messy said...

that is so sweet...and so true...only took one tiny second out of your time, but remarkably helpful! I love to ski!! ...which reminds me...ACK I haven't been in FOREVER. Booo!

Midtown Girl said...

You are such a good-hearted person!! Kudos to you darling - XOXO