Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, December 9, 2010

#reverb10 - Party Caribbean Style!

December 9 Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.

I have kept you all in the dark long enough, and I am sick of waiting. I am finally posting about my vacation! This vacation was unique in a couple of ways: I crossed a few things off of my bucket list, and I also got to travel with five of my closest friends.

Jed and I joined my BFF and her husband, and another couple we're close to, for a seven-day Western Caribbean cruise on the interesting Carnival Valor. This was, by far, the best social gathering of 2010; vacation is always my favorite part of the year! Beware, this is a photo-filled post!

We started off in Miami for a night before the cruise, 
where we had delicious Thai with BFF's awesome aunt...

... bought wine at Trader Joe's to carry onboard, 
while I was still tipsy from my "flight cocktail of meds"...

... and tried non-beef jerky.

Sail away was exciting as always.

The girls had a "girls' night out" while the boys... went to bed. Hahaha...
We danced the night away with an Asian band playing Pure rock.

I jogged the next morning, overlooking nothing but blue ocean.
Then I spent the rest of the day in my bathing suit...
starting on my tan...
(yes, that's me in the middle reading none other than Walden -- who reads that on vaca?!)

...and going down the water slide (yes, there was a water slide on board!).

Oh, and checking the score of Monday Night Football
on the big screen above the pool.

The next morning, we awoke to board a tender...

... to visit Big Black Dick...

... and marvel at security dogs in booties,
on the reef island of Grand Cayman.

While two of us checked out the seven-mile beach,
this foursome boarded a seaworthy vessel for the chance of a lifetime...

... to play with stingrays at Stingray City...

... to see a live conch...

... and swim among the fish.

All that swimming made us thirsty and hungry, so off to Margaritaville we went,
for margaritas and the best nachos ever...

... and a couple trips down the water slide over the swim-up bar!

The next day, our floating home stopped at the island of Roatan,
off the coast of Honduras,
where that adventurous foursome had a not-so-good experience,
of which there are no pictures to speak.

But the next day we were all smiles to awaken to
the beautiful land of Belize!

Cave tubing was on the agenda for the day!

We all held hands and feet,
while our trusty guide, Tomas, led the way...

... past tarantulas...

... and down a beautiful river, in and out of caves.

"Butts up!"
(I'll let you ponder why!)

In Cozumel, we got a bird's-eye view...

... strapped into a parasail...

... high above turquoise blue sea...

... and our friends' beach chairs 
(second row of blue umbrellas on the left)!

Landing was a little rough when Jed stumbled onto my foot...

But drinks at the bar on a swing make it all ok!

I made some interesting new friends,
to join the old...

... and we all called Valor
our week-long home.

2 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Always making me jealous with your cruising. HA!

Pam said...

Looks like you had a great time! Love the photo of your feet high about the ocean!