Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Monday, November 7, 2011

#21DJC: If I had a million dollars...

I'm participating in a journaling challenge over the next three weeks, and I wanted to share my entries here. This should be interesting, and I really hope to stick with the daily writing schedule. If you'd like to sign up, click the link above. Celes has some really interesting questions (I've participated in her challenges before), and she really tries to build a good community.

With that little introduction, let's get on with the first entry, shall we?

Image credit: Google Images
What would you do if you have one million dollars?

I have actually put a lot of thought into this question over the years because I'd love to be independently wealthy and never have to worry about money again. I also suffer from an overactive imagination.

The first thing I would do is pay off my parents' mortgage, so they wouldn't have to worry about the house. I would also give them money to create their dream kitchen and fix up the bathrooms.

Next, I would automatically put 30% into savings... for a rainy day, for vacations, for my children's education.

Then I would build boyfriend's and my dream house somewhere and sell our house now. Finally, I'd buy a new car -- the one I really want -- pay off my studient loans and other debt, and go on a relaxing two-week vacation in Hawaii.

I'm pretty sure that would account for all of it. Now that I actually budget it out, could I have two million?
 
What would you do with one million dollars?

1 comment:

Amber said...

Aw I think that is a great list of things!

Let's see, I would build my MIL and FIL a nice, new home to replace the old, small one they are living in now. Probably get them a modular since they don't need a lot of room and they'd want to stay on the land they're on.

Then I would pay off our townhouse and our car and buy property/cabin on a lake within an hour of where we live.

I would put a significant amount, probably 20 - 30% in savings, also. And I would take us on a nice vacation. Maybe back to Europe!

$1,000,000 doesn't seem like much these days does it? As sad as that is!