Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

#21DJC: A little competition is healthy.

Apologies I have not been keeping up with my journal entries for #21DJC. Last week I developed a horrible sinus infection, so I have been spending all of my free time sleeping or chilling in front of the TV. Each day I have been feeling a little bit better, so I'm back to catch up on these prompts, starting with today's. I'll continue with each day's prompts and schedule the previous prompts as posts when I can.


Photo credit: Personal Excellence blog

Today's topic is: What drives you?

While it is not always the best driver, competition does drive me. I have always loved striving for the top -- amongst my peers as well as against myself. Lately, the competition with myself has become more important to me. Constantly improving. Increasing my strengths and skills. Developing my abilities. While my passions and interests constantly evolve and change, this desire to push to be better remains.

I am also a collector, not so much of things, but of knowledge and experience. I love to learn and read, which is evident in my to-read book list, the piles of magazines around the house and my Google Reader. I am constantly reading and absorbing new information. I also enjoy traveling and exploring new parts of my community. As an avid Yelper, I love trying new businesses and posting reviews. I challenge myself at work to learn new parts of the business and get involved in different projects.

All of this contributes to transforming myself into the best version possible, which I think is one of the reasons we are here. As Celes wrote, in reflection of the self-love posts yesterday, we are all on a journey to become better, and that journey has no end. It is the journey that matters -- what pushes us and the choices we make along the way.

What drives you? In life, at work, in your relationships...

No comments: