Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grateful Day 11: K

Click the image to visit Lindsey's blog

Today I am thankful for my kitchen.


The kitchen is what sold me on our house. I liked the rest of the house, but I LOVED the kitchen. As far as a first-home-buying experience goes, this kitchen was perfect. The cabinets and hardware are beautiful but simple. The color of the countertops complement the wood perfectly. The island, which the previous owners left for us, fits in just right and offers some extra prep space (not that I really need any) and storage. The professional series stainless steel appliances all match, and they have all the bells and whistles Jed was looking for. The "hardwood" floor isn't really hardwood, but laminate, which stands up to liquid spills and cleans much easier.

The double window over the sink faces East, letting in the morning sunlight, and the opposite side opens to the dining room on one side and the living room on the other -- perfect for entertaining. We have more cabinet space than we can use, and there's room to put a small cafe table, if we wanted an eat-in kitchen.

See the border on the backsplash? Those roosters? That is the only thing I want to change. It will, eventually, be redone with glass tiles. And maybe granite countertops. Maybe.

What are some things I would look for in my next kitchen? First of all, more light. While we get some light through the window, that is the only window in the room, and I like a bright kitchen. I'd also like a pantry so all the food is in one place, which means I could do with less cabinets, but I love all my counter space, so I wouldn't want to lose that. I'd also have a professional stove hood with a powerful (but quiet) fan. The fan we have above our stove is in the bottom of the microwave, and it kinda sucks. Or not... not the way it's supposed to. I think that's about it though. Oh, and maybe a double sink. That would be cool.

No comments: