Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blessed are they...


Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land. Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
Matthew 5: 3-10 
As I listened to this Gospel during Mass on Sunday, and the sermon that followed, I couldn't help but be haunted by images of the suffering in Haiti. It is all I could think about. I suddenly knew that God is with these people, and He will be with them for a long time as they suffer, mourn, fight and rebuild.

It sounds silly now, but I didn't have time to do my thankful Tuesday post yesterday, even though I knew in my mind what I would write. So, here it is, a day late, but no less meaningful.

I'm thankful for my house, in which I sit comfortably -- because people in Haiti watched their houses crumble, sometimes on top of them.

I am thankful for my warm, comfortable bed -- because there are children in Haiti sleeping in the dirt.

I am thankful for the food in my cupboards and refrigerator -- because most in Haiti are starving.

I'm thankful for the filtered, cold water I take for granted every day -- because millions around the world die from drinking their water.

I'm thankful for a dresser full of warm clothes -- because so many around the world wear the same dirty, tattered, insufficient clothes every day.

I'm thankful for heat -- because I'm sure there is a family not far from here who does not have that luxury tonight.

I am thankful for my faith -- because it gives me hope and compassion.

I am thankful for the love in my life -- because it encourages me and reminds me of the greatest love of all.

These are all things I enjoy every day and do not stop to question. These are all things that I am blessed to have, things that so many do without.

Today marks the start of Lent for Christians around the world. During this season, I am not so much giving up something as I am being grateful for what I have, working to strengthen my faith, trying to become better at love, and repenting for where I have fallen short and hurt those around me.

Forty days from now, I pray that I will be happy, loving, grateful, forgiven and patient. I pray to notice a positive difference in myself -- in my heart.

3 comments:

Michelle Schraudner said...

Sermon on the Mount! I love this! I even did a speech about this in school one time because it made such a huge difference in my life.

I hope your Lent goal works out well!

Summer said...

this has been my goal this year....to stop obsessing over what I don't have, and focus on what I do...

Loved this post girlee.

Micaela said...

such a BEAUTIFUL post. that last bit... really really spoke to me. I pray the same thing.

you have the biggest heart. never lose this quality! xoxo