Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Friday, May 7, 2010

Fill in the Blank Friday: Books


I discovered this meme through Micaela at dolce vita, and I've taken a liking to it, so I'm going to make it a regular feature, mixed in with the much-loved Roses & Thorns. I'd love your feedback, and if you want to play along, you can link up at Lauren's blog, the little things we do. This week's theme -- since she's been doing themes -- is books, one of my favorite topics!


1.  My favorite book growing up was "Harriet the Spy" by Louise Fitzhugh and "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I read both of these books repeatedly. There was also a lot of Babysitter's Club thrown in there .

2.  The funniest book I've ever read was  most recently, "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" by Jane Austen with Seth Grahame-Smith. I only read this book because it was part of a book club I joined, and I wasn't disappointed. It is the classic Pride & Prejudice story, with Seth's zombie tale weaved in. I remember reading this on vacation and laughing out loud while Jed gave me weird looks.

3.  The one book that has truly changed my life is  "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. If you haven't read this book, you should. It was real and inspiring, and I think I look at my life and the world differently because of it.

4.  If you're looking for a real "tear jerker" you should probably read "The Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Patterson. I have not seen the most recent film inspired by this book, but I remember reading this as a kid and crying my eyes out.

5.  If I could meet any author living or dead I would want to meet  Elizabeth Gilbert. I have such a girl crush after reading her first book, and I can't wait to read the second. This is a tough question though because I'd also love to meet the classic authors: Austen, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare... the list goes on and on.

6.  The next book on my "to read" list is  "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld. I have a couple unread books on my bookshelf, but since summer is approaching, I think this will be a good beach read.

7.  If I was snowed into  remote cabin in the woods and could only choose three books to bring with me I'd bring  the Bible, "The Catcher and the Rye" by J.D. Salinger and "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner. You got the all-encompassing, the classic and the chick lit.

I was looking forward to a laid-back weekend without many plans, but, as always, it's booked to the brim again. Tonight, I think we are having friends over to plan our upcoming vacation and grilling dinner. (Vacation!) Tomorrow is our celebration of Mother's Day: visiting my mom to help my parents move their living room furniture back after they replaced the carpet, then going out to dinner with Jed's mom. And, Sunday, I'm attending the Christening of my oldest friend's first baby! She is the first of my group of friends to have a baby, and it's so weird, but exciting! After that, I'm hoping I have enough energy left to finally get my house clean. LOL

What are you all up to this weekend? Here's hoping you have good weather and sunshine for lots of fun!

8 comments:

Classic Passion said...

I want to avoid working this weekend. My life is flying by in a haze of meetings.

Must stop!

Thanks for a fantastic reminder of life's little pleasures

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm with you. I could use some down time...but there is none to be had this weekend. We're Disney bound!

Anonymous said...

I loved Harriet the Spy when I was a kid!
Definitely adding Eat, Pray, Love to my reading list.

This weekend? I will be trying to cram three more books from my summer list in before heading off to Europe!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Happy weekend to you!

Alicia said...

ok seriously reading this makes me want to go to the closet book store and stock up...my reading time has been SO limited and its driving me a little nuts!! i need a new book pronto! hope you had an awesome weekend lady!

Summer Athena said...

i love you bc she wrote - secret garden and catcher in the rye. well, i love you for more reasons than that but this post made me smile.

ps - hope the weekend was fab!

MUAH!

rachaelgking said...

!!!!!

You had me at "Zombies".

bananas. said...

i loved harriet the spy! i think that was my second fav book. my first was "are you there god? it's me margaret" by judy blume.

and be proud cause i just started "eat, pray, love" today. no lie! already a few pages in and i love it.