Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Friday, November 12, 2010

Born to run?

Hardly, but I'm making an effort anyway. I have been less than motivated in keeping up with my Couch to 5K training, but I have a renewed sense of "get out there and pound pavement." To help keep me on track, I also have a virtual running buddy, Michelle of Oh Mishka! We've already started emailing each other to see how the other is doing with her running.

It is because of this accountability to Michelle that I bit the bullet and ran this morning. A coworker recommended me to MapMyRun, and I used it for the first time today. Basically this is a tool that enables you to enter your address (don't worry, it remains private) and then map out your neighborhood with whatever distances you want. There are a bunch of other features I've yet to discover, but this distance mapping is really the tool I was looking for.

I started easy and simple: a one-mile run following week one of C25K. This is a shorter route than the program recommends, but I don't want to discourage myself out of the gate again. I'll continue with week one next week, gradually building up to three miles. I hope to map out a few different three-mile loops around my neighborhood so I won't get bored with the scenery.

Since I only did a mile today, my playlist was super short:
Amazing -- Aerosmith
Hold It Now, Hit It -- Beastie Boys
Black & White People -- Matchbox 20

In total, I was out there for about 13 minutes today, plus my warm-up walk with Morris.


{Image via Real Simple}

2 comments:

Traveller said...

Keep it up! It gets easier, I promise!

Ashley said...

I love to run, but I have been so lazy about it over the years. Good luck to you!