Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Monday, November 15, 2010

C25K Check-In

Today I realized that I need to make running a habit. It needs to be a conscious decision that becomes a subconscious part of my day... like taking a shower.

Which, believe it or not, is the perfect segue into how I motivated myself to run today. LOL  I was just about to hop in the shower when I realized that I wanted to squeeze in a run today, and if I showered then, I'd only have to shower later after my run. But, wait a minute, what prevents me from squeezing in that run NOW, and then I can have my shower too?

The answer was absolutely nothing, so I went for a run. I followed the same one-mile loop I did Friday, using week one of C25K. Here's the stats and playlist:

Time: ~12:45

Black & White People -- Matchbox 20
Carnival Town -- Norah Jones
Always You -- Sophie Zelmani
She's Gotta Be -- Keith Urban

I was dreading today (I'm not a big fan of Mondays, but who really is?), and I was trying to find something to look forward to as I was falling asleep last night. This is what I have to look forward to: my runs. I've started focusing on the sensation of my feet hitting the ground, and it's... grounding. 

{Image via Real Simple}

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I have yet to make running a hobby, but for the first time yesterday after a very chaotic weekend I actually craved a run. So I did about 2.5 miles on the treadmill and it felt so good! I loved seeing your post today and the fact that you did just a mile reminds me that I don't always have to go all out - fitting in runs in shorter amounts of time will keep me motivated as I move into a very busy few weeks at work.