Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Catch up, part deux

I never do to-be-continued posts, but I didn't want your eyes to fall out of your head trying to catch up on my entire week in one, gigantic post. If you haven't read part one, click here.

When we started, it looked like this...

Then, once we painted the walls blue, it looked like this...

So, as I was saying...


Now we're both failing at DIY, at wit's end, can't breathe and cranky. The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. I struggled through days at work from my bed -- I have had chronic sinusitis problems (even when I'm not suffering a cold), and I was extremely light-headed, so all I wanted to do was sleep.

Wednesday night, we went out to dinner with a group of friends for my BFF's husband's birthday. There happened to be trivia that night, and my friends love some trivia, plus JB and D completely rock at it, so we joined the fun. And. won. second. place!!!! That's right, we were able to give Ollie's hubby a $20 gift certificate to the restaurant we were at for his birthday! LOL

Once I came off the cold meds and started taking my allergy meds again, I felt much better and less light-headed (maybe it was just allergies?), and I ventured to Ollie's Friday night for girls' night, box of Vick's tissues in the purse. We plan these nights to watch the entire Sex and the City series and girl talk. Friday we ordered some yummy pizza and figured out where we left off in the series (we're only on season 3!). Then the girl talk started... and didn't stop until 2:30 a.m.! We never switched the TV from HGTV that Ollie was watching when I arrived. It was a good night though because all of the girls were able to make it, including one who now lives in Connecticut and is recently engaged. We discussed her wedding plans and listened to her vent about her frustrations.


Saturday, Jed and I tackled the hallway again. He had applied a thinner joint compound Friday night, so we sanded (more drug dust, which he kindly cleaned). We put doors up and put the new doorknobs on. We hit up Michael's and Wal-Mart Saturday night to buy some Christmas decorations.

{Brushed nickel doorknobs so much better than shiny gold!}

The walls looked MUCH better than they did the previous weekend, so we dared painting again. As I rolled, Jed cleaned up the hardwood floors that were the worse for our DIY-wear. And Morris looked on... closely... so close that he ended up looking kinda like this kitty...


Yup, he brushed right against my freshly painted wall, and even after a bath, still has tan paint on one ear!

Regardless, the walls looked PERFECT. FINALLY!

I got up Sunday morning a little scared to walk into the hallway, but the paint had dried and still looked perfect. Minus the two blue streaks on the ceiling behind the light fixture we forgot to paint! Oh well!


We put up the painted door frames and caulked them into place. Then we measured and cut the baseboards. There were quite a few "specialty" pieces that needed to be hand-crafted. Jed made a "picture frame" out of the door frame left-overs to go around the large vent at the end of the hall, and I worked on a tiny little piece that needed to fit between the baseboard and the door frame to the living room.


Once all the baseboards were cut to perfection, I painted them. They are now drying in the garage waiting for Jed to get home this weekend and put them up. Then it's one more quick coat around all of the trim and WE'LL BE DONE!

So, that brings me up to the present when I'm still suffering from a slightly stuffy nose, but I'll survive. I'm still working on catching up on all your blogs, so just be patient with me, please. I have put up the Christmas decorations inside, and I decided to wait for Jed to tackle the outside (me + snow + ladder + extension cords + electricity = another DIY disaster waiting to happen).

Finished pictures (both hall and decorations) coming soon!

2 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Wow, you've been busy! It looks great!

Anna said...

goodness gracious! that is a lot of busy! get better darling, & it looks great so far! i am inspired!
xo-