Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day 17: Q

Apologies, but I can't seem to upload images tonight, so this is going to be a rather text-heavy post.

This is one of my absolute favorite things; today I'm thankful for quotes.

As a writer, even more as a reporter, I've learned to value quotes. All through college, I collected them as if they were rare antiques, jotting them in my journal whenever I found one that inspired me or described how I was thinking or feeling. Some came in handy when I was at a loss for words in an assignment for class. Others inspired me to start that assignment, or just to keep going. Some encouraged hope, others comforted in times of pain and sorrow.

It's amazing what others' words can do for us, to us. So, I'd like to share some quotes from back then with you. I hope they touch you as they have touched me.

There is a voice inside you, that whispers all day long. I feel this is right for me, I know this is wrong. No teacher, preacher, parent, friend, or wise man can decide, what's right for you -- just listen to the voice that speaks inside.
~ Shel Silverstein

Sometimes is never quite enough
If you're flawless, then you'll win my love
Don't forget to win first place
Don't forget to keep that smile on your face
~ Alanis Morissette

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive,
and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.
~ Anais Nin

The stars they shine
In an empty void
Life is not to fear
Life is to enjoy
~ Third Eye Blind

CARPE DIEM, BOYS! SEIZE THE DAY! MAKE YOUR LIFE EXTRAORDINARY!
~ DEAD POETS SOCIETY

You have built castles in the air,
now put foundations under them.
~ Thoreau

It's all right letting yourself go as long as you can get yourself back.
~ Mick Jagger

We should be careful
to get out of an experience
only the wisdom that is in it.
~ Mark Twain

You gain strength, courage and confidence
by every experience by which you really stop to look fear in the face.
You are able to say to yourself,
"I lived through this horror.
I can take the next thing that comes along."
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.
~ Thadeus Golas

Try to find your voice and your art,
because it comes from your own experiences,
your own pain.
~ Amy Tan

2 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Ohhhhhhhh, Shel. He never gets old does he?

Anna said...

amen! i am addicted to quotes, too! they have helped me through so much... which sounds kind of cheesy, but it's so true!

loved your picks. : )
xo-