Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Monday, November 23, 2009

Days 20-23

Whoa, I know, I have quite a bit of catching up to do. Thanksgiving is so close, I can taste the turkey, gravy and potatoes! This means I'm feeling especially grateful, so it's kinda nice that I have a few things I can put in this post.



In case you forgot, I started this with Lindsey at Great Full Day. She challenged herself -- and me, indirectly -- to be thankful for one thing beginning with a different letter of the alphabet, each of the 26 days of November leading up to Thanksgiving. All of my posts so far have been tagged as "26 Days of Gratitude," so feel free to read back.

Starting off with T, I'm thankful for Thanksgiving itself. It's been one of my favorite holidays for the food, mostly; my mom makes THE BEST Thanksgiving feast you've ever tasted. Ok, I'm biased. I'm especially grateful this year that Mom is even hosting Thanksgiving at all. We almost lost the holiday to my aunt, who normally does Christmas dinner. However, she will be in Florida this Christmas while my cousin has her baby (she's due Christmas day!), so Mom said she would do Christmas. In turn, my aunt offered to swap and take Thanksgiving. I put my foot down on that one.

Now, Thanksgiving is definitely about the food, but it's also about my family, who is becoming even more important to me that I'm getting older and I've moved out of my parents' house. I get to go back home and hang out with my immediate family, but also see my aunts and uncles and cousins that I don't see as often as I would like. I'm grateful for that opportunity to share a wonderful meal and some good football games with people I love.


University is next on my gratitude list, especially my alma mater, Boston University. For better or for worse, that was the first, major, life-changing decision I made when I chose to go to BU, and it has shaped who I am today. I'm thankful for the education I received, the friends I made, the people I met, the professors who inspired me, and the four wonderful years I was a Boston resident.


Voice is not a concrete thing, and I'm certainly not grateful for my singing voice because it's awful! My gratitude is for another kind of voice: my inner voice and my written voice. I am blessed with the gift of writing, which I've been working on all my life. I am able to express my voice with written words, and that is an ability not everyone possesses. I'm also thankful for my inner voice, my conscience or heart if you will. That voice that knows me inside and out, and guides me throughout the day.


Finally, I'm grateful for wine. Ah, nothing soothes away the stress of a hectic or bad day than a nice glass of wine. I always have a bottle on hand. Not only do I appreciate the comforting qualities, I appreciate the health benefits of a glass of red wine; it is good for your heart. Wine also complements food, and it's opened the doors to a new hobby. Tasting wine, discovering wine, learning about wine, collecting wine and visiting vineyards are all things I love to do, and I'm grateful to have discovered that world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a nice post! I am also very grateful for wine. Ah!

Have a nice thanksgiving!

Sierra said...

Oh nice that you sing. I sing too but it has been far too long since I have been in choir and performed! I also love wine, oh so relaxing! Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!