Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Make-Up

This recipe was from a few weeks ago, but I've been so busy with #reverb10 posts, that I didn't get a chance to post it. I forget how I even stumbled upon this sweet potato and brie pizza recipe from Real Simple, but it sounded like an interesting twist I decided to try it.

This is Real Simple's picture since I didn't take my own.
Mine looked very similar, believe it or not!

Let me tell you: dough and I are not friends -- even when I buy it from the supermarket. I just can't grasp the concept of it rising, of stretching and shaping it, of getting it to not stick or rip. It always eludes me. While I fought with the dough for this recipe, it actually turned out ok. Jed was able to stretch it enough to fit the pizza stone, and it cooked well in the oven.

Jed was not a fan of the sweet potato, but I thought it was delicious, and I loved the unique flavor of the brie instead of regular pizza cheese. The recipe calls for shallots, but I couldn't find any while shopping and we're not a fan of onions, so I left them out; I think I would try it with them next time because there was definitely a flavor missing.

I served it with American Blend Dole salad and the dressing in the recipe, which was excellent.

I would definitely make this again, if only Jed was a fan of the sweet potatoes. I'd recommend it if you're looking for different pizza toppings with slightly more gourmet flavors. I would also like to try more unusual pizzas like this one... if only the dough would treat me better!

What are your favorite pizza toppings when you're making your own?


Serves 4Hands-On Time: 15m Total Time: 40m

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 425° F. Shape the dough into a large oval and place on a cornmeal-dusted baking sheet.
  2. In a medium bowl, toss the sweet potato, shallots, thyme, 3 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
  3. Scatter the potato mixture over the dough and top with the Brie. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, remaining tablespoon of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
  5. Toss the dressing with the greens. Serve with the flat bread.


#reverb10 Prompt: Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

No comments: