Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Monday, September 7, 2009

Friend Making Monday (from aefilkins)

via
Welcome to my special Labor Day Monday edition of Friend Making Monday, from Amber Filkins! Since I just discovered this fun-ness, I am combining three Mondays into one. Very appropriate for this "end of summer, beginning of fall" weekend where I have just finished catching up on all of your blogs, while reflecting on my own summer and the coming autumn.

I'll confess. I'm sad to see summer go, especially because there was so much I didn't have time to do that I wanted to. That, and winter depresses me immensely (I try to focus on upcoming ski trips because that is about the only thing about winter that I find fun).

So, here we go! We will be doing this every Monday with Amber, folks, so feel free to play along. The only request is that you link back to Amber's page.


1. Having two months of hot, sunny weather after a rather tough June.

2. Finally going down to Cape Cod with my friend to visit Eden Hand Arts, home of the original Cape Code Screwball bracelet. And, yes, I bought my very own.

3. My birthday!!!

4. Moving into our very own (first!) house with my boyfriend.

5. Seeing Kenny Chesney live at Gillette Stadium, along with some other great acts!

6. Cookouts at our house with good friends and family.

7. Dad on his way to getting better.

8. Getting a new job!

9. Working from home!!!

10. Feeling comfortable enough to wear shorts (and having hot enough weather to wear shorts)!


Second, Amber's 20 Things About... Me!

1. Do you cook every night?
Most nights... we used to go out to eat a lot, but we've cut it down to less than one night a week.

2. What kind of laundry detergent do you use & why?

Tide Ultra, High Efficiency, because I stumbled upon a Consumer Reports article that it is the top detergent tested. And, I have a front-loading washing machine, so I need an HE formula.

3. Do you do laundry every day or loads at a time?

Hell no! I couldn't do laundry everyday, nor do I need to. I basically do laundry when the hamper is full, and it's about two loads for the whole thing... plus two more loads for sheets and towels.

4. How often do you eat out per week?
See above... maybe once a week. Tonight we're heading to Olive Garden for the endless pasta bowl! = )

5. Where do you usually eat out?
Haha, Olive Garden... and used to be Gregg's (a local RI chain). We try to check out new places when we can.

6. What is your favorite retail store?

That's a tough one because I haven't been "shopping" much since we bought the house. So, I guess Target and Home Depot (LOL) since the stuff I have been buying is for the house!

7. What's your favorite thing to drink?
Iced tea, unsweetened with a squeeze of lemon.

8. Do you take vitamins? What kind?

No, not unless you include an occasional Vitamin Water. I try to get my vitamins through food.

9. What percentage of the household chores to you do?
My boyfriend and I split them... he mostly does outside stuff, and I handle the inside.

10. Do your children do chores? {Or will they, did they, etc}
No children yet, but yes, they will do some chores when they are old enough.

11. Do you go to church?

Yes, we try to go every weekend.

12. Do you have a housework schedule?
Not really. I kinda do it when it needs to be done.

13. Do you keep a working budget?
No, I'm awful with that stuff! My boyfriend is the accountant, and he keeps an eye on the finances.

14. What do you do at night as a family?
I usually cook dinner and we'll eat together, then we'll watch TV usually.

15. How do you prepare yourself for a new week?
as much as I would like to, I don't. I try to relax before a new week and mentally prepare.

16. What do your mornings look like?
Um, depends now on whether I'm going into the office or not. If I'm going in, it's up with the sun at 5 a.m., if I'm not, I get up around 7 and log in.

17. What time do you get up in the mornings?
See above. Weekends I try to forgo the alarm and let myself catch up.

18. What time do you go to bed at night?

If I'm waking up at sunrise, I try to go to bed by 10 p.m. If I can "sleep in," it's more like 11.

19. How do you manage all of the paperwork that floods into your household? {bills, school work, magazines, ads, etc}
I try to sort mail as soon as I get it: boyfriend's goes into his inbox on his desk. Mine I sort into the trash or my to-do pile on the kitchen island. As soon as bills are paid, they are filed away.

20. How do you keep your household organized? {calendars, charts, etc}
In my head! LOL... Really, that's how I keep sane.


And finally... What are some of your favorite things about fall?

Changing leaves (I love the colors)

Cooler weather so I can rock sweatshirts and flip-flops

Apple-picking

Hot apple cider

Halloween (even though I can never decide on a costume)

Vacation (we usually go away the first couple weeks of October)

Dad's homemade apple pie

Remembering back-to-school

Football season!

Thoughts of Thanksgiving
(and yummy gorging)

Thanks Amber for the awesome post ideas!

And, I apologize for the lack of pictures... I will do better next time, I promise! For now, use your vivid imaginations to fill in the blanks. = )

3 comments:

Miller Racing Family said...

What great lists.
I also love the changing of the leaves during fall. During this time of year we usually have a tree full of apples in our backyard, but not this year. We had a late spring freeze and thus we only got about 5 apples on the entire tree. Looks like we will be buying apples this year.
Happy FMM!

Nat said...

about the first list - looks like you had very colourful summer!:)

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Thanksgiving is the best meal of the year, as it should be for how long it takes to prepare! Happy FMM!