Ever-Changing Reflection

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding... It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Advice for Summer


I just read Summer's post on Le Musings of Moi about her so-called mid-life crisis. I wanted to offer her some personal advice, as I've felt what she describes she's feeling. Here is my advice to her, and to anyone else searching for a break from real life and who they really are...
I can see myself in your post, hear myself thinking your words. I've been there too (minus the mommy part, no kids yet).

We all have our perfect getaways, that we very rarely actually get to. So, we are forced to compromise and improvise to get ourselves through. But not only to get through, but to get better.

Here is what I do, and hopefully it will help you, or at least guide you to your own mini-getaway.

I started practicing Yoga. Huge. Especially if you have attention span problems and can't seem to stay in the moment. Especially if you need to clear your mind and get away. Especially if you need a clean slate to get in touch with you. Take a one-off class. Check On Demand for some free Yoga sessions. Buy a video. Just start Downward Dogging. Not only does it give you time to just breathe, but it teaches you mindfulness, to stay calm within in the storm, and to appreciate yourself - your true self.

Once you've checked in with some Yoga, find who you want to be NOW... and then simply be that person. You won't be that person all the time, but gradually, if you keep thinking about who you want to be rather than who you are or who you were, you'll become that person.

Everyone needs to constantly re-evaluate themselves, it's part of growing. And it's ok to take a mommy time-out to do that once in a while. You and your family will be better for it.

The empty cup cannot satiate those who thirst.

Good luck!

1 comment:

Summer said...

Finally, a little time to read blogs today!!! And I am just loving this one personally to me!

My sister actually sent me a text message on the same day of that post telling me to do Yoga. I actually used to do it a long time ago, and loved it. I know I need to incorporate it back into my routine.

You are so wise and so sweet and I really appreciate your advice! =)